First and foremost, what is mange?
Mange is an insanely itchy disease caused by parasitic mites.
There are several different types of mange that is found in pets and animals:
- Demodectic mange and Sarcoptic mange are the most common types of mange found in dogs.
- Cheyletiella, also known as "Walking Dandruff," is a mange that affects dogs, cats, rabbits, chickens and humans.
- Demodex mites are commonly diagnosed in cats as well
- Mange in cats is also often a result of FeLV suppressing the immune system.
You know your dog has mange when:
- Your dog suffers from patchy hair loss, mostly around the eyes or on parts of the face
- Crusty red skin progressing to a greasy and moist appearance
- Some dogs can be resistant to mange and therefore show no symptoms - horrifying, we know.
You know your cat has mange when:
- Your cats ears have discharge
- Your cat itches its ears constantly
- Kittens are most likely to get mange, specifically in the ear area
- Hair loss is a symptom specifically of Sarcoptic mange
Here's how to get rid of mange in your animals
- Treatment of mange in dogs and cats involves clipping the hair and removing the crusty lesions.
- Topical treatment involves ointments likes Ranch Remedy, dips or medicated shampoos.
- Be sure to visit your vet as they'll also prescribe a medication to treat mange from the inside out. This double whammy will ensure your pet is healthy in no time!
- Fatty acid supplements and a high quality pet food will also help your pet fight mange by increasing its immune system.
- CBD also has can boost their immune system and ease their discomfort when it comes to itchiness
IMPORTANT TO NOTE: Sarcoptic and Cheyletiella mites are very contagious, so all dogs or cats in the family should also be treated to eliminate the problem, even if they do not show signs. Remember direct contact is not necessary to contract Sarcoptic mange - be sure to wash bedding and grooming items when treatment begins.
Ranch Remedy has been instrumental in the treatment of mange in dogs and cats. Our hydrating formula absorbs quickly (which is important for our busy animals) and works quickly.
A combination of veterinary care and Ranch Remedy is the mange solution you need!